Zucchini Pappardelle with Avocado Sauce: The Beautiful, Voluptuous Clean-Eating Cousin to just regular Pappardelle Pasta
You are probably wondering how in the world I can possibly entice you with the prospect of a pasta-replacement dish made of the ever-versatile zucchini and avocado sauce and say it’s pretty comparable to fettucini alfredo AND healthier for you.
In fact, you are probably wondering why I, Italian born and bred, would ever dare to blaspheme my ancestors with this coincidentally vegan, gluten-free dish. Well, as you know, I am crazy…..about trying new things and also being allowed to eat more without feeling so damn guilty.
Let’s face it. Pasta is great. But, you can’t have too much of it (everything in moderation, right?). But on nights when I just want to have a hearty meal and go above the recommended dosage, I resort to other creative ventures, like the use of vegetables to get my way.
In doing so, I not only introduce more tasty vegetables in my diet, but I also insert a clever way of getting my necessary vitamins and minerals from my zucchini, as well as introducing the heart-healthy fats from the avocado. Not to mention these two together offer other amazing health benefits like lowering your cholesterol, heart attack and stroke prevention, and provide aid to your digestion….just to name a few.
So, let’s get to that recipe!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2-3 minutes
- 8 zucchinis
- 2 avocados
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 lemon’s worth of juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Recipe for Avocado Sauce
- Add garlic and basil to food processor and blend to mince
- Add avocado flesh, lemon, oil, and water to food processor and blend until smooth
- Add salt and pepper and hand-stir around until well-mixed. Set sauce aside.
Recipe for Zucchini Pappardelle*
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel* zucchini until you begin to see the seeds from the core. The trick here is to peel the less watery parts of the zucchini, and when you hit the core, stop and proceed to the next zucchini. Place peels in bowl and discard/use left-over core remains for other recipes.
2. Put peels in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove pot and drain the “noodles”. Place zucchini noodles back in pot.
*The term “pappardelle” refers to the actual pasta noodle that is flat and long in shape, very similar to that of fettuccini.
- Add avocado sauce to the zucchini noodle pot and mix together until sauce is evenly distributed. Grab a fork and serve!
This recipe is a keeper! It took less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook, and it tasted very very creamy, in conjunction with the meaty texture of the zucchini noodles. This dish is refreshing to the palate and very filling. I definitely will be showcasing this in my next rendez-vous 🙂
What do you guys think of this recipe? Any other suggestions on pasta replacements?
Comment and Share below!